Tuesday, January 1, 2013

3 o'clock croissant


I couldn’t fall back to sleep after waking up at three in the morning. Since it’s a waste of time and efforts after tossing around for some time, I got up and made breakfast. I have to admit that it has been a while, such elaboration.

First thing concerning croissant, is to put it directly to the freezer after you get it from the baker, before a certain somebody (meaning me) crushes it. As long as you have a nice bread knife, you’re set. Always preheat the oven, and pay attention whenever you put anything in there. Get it out immediately when the color just turns right (never wait!). Put everything together in a blink of the eye, and take one big bite when it’s still warm and crisp. Such a delicious conquest should always be deemed a bless.

But of course, to get that mouthful of pure content, you have to do it right.

I rinsed the alfalfa sprout, and sliced the tomato already last night. I added a spoonful of water to the egg (much better with milk), got the ham and cheese then put things I wouldn’t need back to the fridge.

I heated the frying pan with olive oil and put the ham in when it’s hot. You don’t need to fuss too much over it. It’s already eatable. So get it out when you get a beautiful color of slightly burnt brown.

Then it’s the omelet egg*. Now this is the biggest deal I learned back at Brunner. If you want to use the same frying pan for it, make sure you wash it, or at least scrub it with a soft scouring pad. Other wise, the egg will burn. As for the taste, there’s no other way than to grease it with butter. That’s right. It’s gonna be FAT. But it’s just like rednecks at a drinking binge, you know it’s so wrong, but it just feels so right.

Now, everything’s in its right place. Toss the croissant in the oven, and ta-ta! Get moving.

Watch the butter, for it’s easily burnt, with this stove, I used medium heat with a fresh rinsed pan. When the water was just about to get evaporated completely, I added in the butter. But I removed the skillet from the stove and melted the butter with the remaining heat. I tilled it sideways and made sure I got the brink as well, so the egg wouldn’t stick. You can use higher heat for omelet egg. I beat the egg thoroughly before pouring it in, and quickly let it cover the skillet evenly. Give it a little knock with your spatula where it bubbles and let the not yet cooked egg seeps through it. You can turn the heat off when it’s mostly cooked but still a little moist on top. Fold it how you want it, place the cheese on top, then the ham, and just let the cheese melt.

Now turn to the oven. What did I tell you? Just look at that elegant, carving-like golden light brown on top. You can almost hear the crumbling sound when you take a bite by just looking at it. But don’t pass out just yet. Spread the mayonnaise on the sliced sides. Place the sprout, tomato, omelet egg/melted cheese/ham accordingly, and put the top on. Holy cow, just look at the cheese melts. Stop what you’re doing. What should be back to the fridge, back to the fridge. What should be washed, don’t worry about it now. Just sit down and enjoy it.

I should warn you. If you want it to look right, try not to press it when you put it together. Just put one layer on top of the other and fast secure it all with a stick. One more thing, it really isn’t for the Victorian I-eat-three-grapes-a-day type of guest if you’re having any. Microwaved beans might work better for her royal highness. This is not for fine-dinning. For this is bound to get messy (so don’t forget to wash your hand before you dig in). And that’s the way croissant crumbles.  

* Omelet egg is not exactly omelet. I think Moss Burger from Japan started it. It’s basically omelet without the fillings. It’s easier to manage than poached egg, but smoother than your sunny side up.

No comments:

Post a Comment